Renovation to dignify housing
Grants for interior renovations improve people’s living conditions and, therefore, contribute to defending the right of citizens to decent housing.
Better housing conditions, higher quality of life
Renovation policies should not only apply to the facades and common elements of buildings: the interior conditions are also a factor that determines how we live. Improving accessibility, insulation or facilities dignifies the home and has an immediate impact on the quality of life of the people who live there.
For this reason, the Barcelona City Council is offering a line of grants for the renovation of interior home elements.
In the current call, the funding it is intended to encourage the inclusion of housing in Barcelona’s rental offer. The homes that receive funding for this reason will be able to cover the entire cost of their renovations with the grant, for a maximum of 20,000 euros per home.
This is the second call for grants allocated to renovations of home interiors for low income people. In 2017, the first year that this kind of funding was available, 821 applications were processed, with half of the applicants living alone.
Do you want to know how to apply for a grant for interior renovation?
In these drop-downs, you will find the requirements and necessary steps to request this grant. The application can be submitted to any Barcelona Housing Office.
Who can apply for the grant?
Beneficiaries of this grant may be individuals or legal entities that own a free market home, place the property at the disposal of the Barcelona Rented Housing Pool, and meet the requirements of the call.
What conditions apply to the grant?
In the case of applications to incorporate a home into the Rented Housing Pool, the concession of the grant is conditional on the inclusion of the home in this programme for a period of five years. Compliance with this condition must be certified by the competent authority of the Municipal Institute of Housing and Rehabilitation of Barcelona. Failure to comply with this condition will result in the refusal of the entire grant solicited.
What are the programmes and grants?
Actions for homes to be included in the Barcelona Rented Housing Pool.
- Actions aimed at housing compliance with Decree 141/2012 of October 30.
Adaptation of the interior facilities of the home and improvement of habitability
- Adaptation to comply with current regulations of water, electricity and gas pipeline networks.
- Renovations for energy improvement.
- Renovations to improve habitability.
- For homes that are included in the Rented Housing Pool, improvements to habitability of both bathrooms and kitchens, and those necessary to ensure that the home complies with the standards of the Rented Housing Pool, shall be considered necessary actions.
Adaptation of the internal mobility of the home
- Levelling of slopes from the street access to the foyer of the building.
- The demolition, widening or adaptation of doors and corridors.
- The extension of stops.
- The improvement of accessibility conditions in existing elevators.
- The construction of ramps.
- The installation of an elevator in a building with less than four floors.
- Exceptionally, the installation of vertical elevator platforms.
- Replacement of a bathtub by a shower.
Energy improvements and sustainability
- Improvement of the interior insulation to improve the energy demands of the homes and ensure acoustic comfort.
- Incorporation of solar protection at openings.
- Changing of enclosures (window panes, balcony doors, other exterior enclosures, entrance doors, etc.).
How is the grant applied for?
The following documentation must be submitted:
- Application for registration and technical report.
- Accreditation of the applicant and the property.
- Responsible statement certifying that the recipient does not breach any of the obligations to receive these grants.
- Construction permit, technical report or company budget, depending on the type of renovation.
- In the case of properties for the Barcelona Rented Housing Pool: report from the Municipal Institute of Housing and Rehabilitation of Barcelona which shows that the home has been included in the Pool.
At the beginning of construction:
- Notice of the start of construction.
- The construction permit must be in force for the entire period of construction.
- Application for the grant according to the standard model.
When finishing the construction:
When is the application period to apply for these grants?
This grant is not available. The period for submitting applications was opened until 29/11/2019. Applications can be submitted at any of the Housing Offices of Barcelona.
In the case of a favourable result, the application for grants and for the start of construction must be submitted. Construction must be initiated within a maximum period of six months.
The notice of the end of construction must be submitted within thirty days from the date certifying the end of construction, and it must be accompanied by the necessary documentation. In the event that the grant application was not submitted together with the start of construction, it must be submitted with the end of construction.
Given that this benefit is a public subsidy and involves capital income, the beneficiary must present his/her personal income tax declaration (IRPF), which must include the amount received.